LEI for Gun Owners
Legal Expense Insurance for Gun Owners is an example of a special risks product designed to meet the needs of a specific group of individuals.
LEI for Gun Owners
Such individuals have an exposure to legal costs in the event they face criminal charges or licensing issues. Few can afford a lawyer or know where to find one.
The policy provides them with free access to a lawyer to provide them with telephone legal advice and in the event it is required, a lawyer will be appointed to represent the insured.
This provides the insured with peace of mind and a valuable risk management tool.
Summary of Coverage
- Defence of charges under the Criminal Code of Canada relating to the careless use of a firearm (s.86), Unauthorized possession of a firearm ( s. 91)), possession of a firearm knowing possession is unauthorized (s.92), Unauthorized possession in a motor vehicle (s.94) or Losing or finding (s.105).
- Defence of charges where the Insured was acting in self defence;
- Appeal against a decision of a licensing, regulatory or judicial authority suspending, revoking, or altering the terms of, or refusing to renew, or cancelling a firearm licence
Appointment of a Lawyer
- Selected from an approved panel of law firms
- Appointed to represent Insured – not agent of STERLON
- Legal fees paid to a maximum hourly rate of $400
- Pre-existing matters
- Legal fees incurred prior to approval
- Offences relating to a trade, occupation, employment or business venture
- Offences relating the use of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm as defined under the Criminal Code if there is no valid licence of the said firearm
- Claims arising from the Initial application for a firearm licence or cost of applying for the renewal of a licence
- Costs awarded against the Insured following a criminal conviction
- Awards, compensation, damages, interest, fines, penalties or tax
- $150,000 any one claim, $500,000 in the aggregate
- Legal proceedings must commence in Canada
- No payment for awards, damages, fines or penalties