LEI for Physicians and Surgeons
As a medical professional, you may be faced with the possibility of becoming involved in legal disputes. You may be called upon to respond to a complaint made to your regulatory body or even be faced with an audit of your billing records.
Available throughout Canada
If you find yourself facing these issues, the last thing you need to worry about is the significant expense associated with engaging legal counsel.
In 2001 alone, upwards of 500 doctors across Ontario were ordered to repay alleged over-billings totalling over $11.7 million. And the trend is worsening.”
Legal Expense Insurance program for Physicians and Surgeons in Ontario was developed to help you protect your professional status. The program covers the key needs identified by Physicians and Surgeons:
- Coverage for legal fees and disbursements when you require representation by a lawyer.
- Unlimited access to a lawyer via a toll-free Telephone Legal Advisory Service during regular business hours (with 24 hour-a-day access for emergencies).
This program is designed to give you the peace of mind knowing that you can obtain immediate legal assistance without worrying about the costs. When required, you will select your lawyer from a panel of legal firms who specialize in representing healthcare professionals. The legal fees of the lawyer you choose to represent you will be paid up to a maximum hourly rate of $400.
Summary of Coverage
Types of Professional Issues Covered
- Attendance at a Coroner’s Inquest
- Human Rights Investigation
- Enforcing a contractual right of access to health facilities to conduct a professional practice
- Billing Profile Investigation undertaken by a provincial health plan
- Defence of criminal charges arising from your conduct and/or duties as a physician or surgeon.
- Defence of a complaint before any professional regulatory body in matters concerning professional misconduct, incompetence, discipline and/or complaint.
- Billing Disputes
- Defence of matters concerning fitness to practice or professional licence to practice.
- Defence of an appeal proceeding arising from any of the professional issues covered above.
- Unlimited toll free telephone legal advisory service for the insured regarding any professional matter
1–555 Barry Downe Road
Alberta & BC
Sarah Hanson, BA, CRM, CAIB (Hons)
Vice President, Client Executive
520–8621 201 Street
Sam Chu, CIP CRM
Team Lead/Senior Underwriter – Allied Health
South Western Insurance Group
105–21 Four Seasons Place